Kampala, August 2, 2023 – The Federation of Uganda Football Associations (FUFA) has released the much-anticipated club licensing decisions for the upcoming 2023/24 StarTimes Uganda Premier League (UPL) season. With 14 clubs meeting the strict Club Licensing requirements, football fans can look forward to a thrilling season of top-tier football.
Among the prestigious clubs that have qualified for the 2023/24 UPL season are football powerhouses like Express FC, KCCA FC, Vipers SC, and SC Villa, along with ten others. These teams have demonstrated full compliance with the necessary licensing regulations, securing their place in the highly awaited UPL season, which is set to kick off later this year.
Unfortunately, not all teams achieved success in their licensing endeavors. Both Busoga United FC and Arua Hill SC failed to submit the mandatory requirements as per the Club Licensing regulations. Consequently, they will not participate in the UPL fixtures for the 2023/24 season. However, they have the opportunity to contest the decision and potentially earn their place back in the top-tier league by participating in the FUFA Big League next season.
FUFA Licensing Committee Chairman, Mr. Ahmed Hussein, highlighted the pivotal role club licensing plays in elevating the standards of Ugandan football. He stressed that club licensing ensures clubs meet specific criteria, such as financial stability, infrastructure, and youth development, which are crucial for the league’s growth and professionalism.
The 14 clubs and their respective stadiums confirmed by the FUFA Licensing Committee for the 2023/24 StarTimes UPL season are as follows:
- Express FC – Muteesa II Stadium, Wankulukuku
- KCCA FC – MTN Omondi Stadium, Lugogo
- Wakiso Giants FC – Kabaka Kyabaggu Stadium
- Vipers SC – St. Mary’s Stadium Kitende
- Soltilo Bright Stars FC – Kavumba Recreation Stadium
- Mbarara City FC – Bombo Barracks Stadium
- NEC FC – MTN Omondi Stadium, Lugogo
- BUL FC – eFUFA Technical Centre, Njeru
- Kitara FC – Masindi Stadium
- Gadaffi FC – Gadaffi Arena
- UPDF FC – Bombo Barracks Stadium
- URA FC – Mehta Stadium, Lugazi
- Maroons FC – Luzira Prisons Ground
- SC Villa – Muteesa II Stadium, Wankulukuku
Football fans across Uganda are eagerly awaiting the start of the 2023/24 StarTimes Uganda Premier League season, anticipating thrilling matches and impressive performances from the top teams in the league. The confirmed fixtures and schedule will be released shortly, further increasing the excitement and anticipation for the upcoming football extravaganza.